From: Stefano Crocco <stefano.crocco@×××××.it>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: has anyone tried KDE5?
Date: Sun, 12 Oct 2014 12:03:03
1 Excerpts from Michael Palimaka's message of 2014-10-04 19:37:04 +0200:
2 > On 10/04/2014 11:26 PM, behrouz khosravi wrote:
3 > > Hello everyone.
4 > > I was wondering if anyone has tried KDE5?
5 > > Do you know when it's going to be placed in the main tree?
6 > >
7 > > thanks
8 >
9 > Hi,
10 >
11 > The KDE release structure has evolved[1], decoupling the release cycle
12 > of the Platform, Workspace, and Applications. This means that there is
13 > no longer a single Software Compilation in the same way there was with
14 > KDE 4.
15 >
16 > We (Gentoo KDE team) have not yet made a decision as to when the Plasma
17 > 5 Workspace will be pushed to the main tree. I've been using it on a
18 > daily basis for about six months, and consider the next release (5.1.0)
19 > to be a good candidate for the main tree.
20 >
21 > The underlying Platform (KDE Frameworks 5) upon which Plasma 5 is built
22 > is expected in the main tree in about a week, after the 5.3.0 release.
23 >
24 > Best regards,
25 > Michael
26 >
27 > [1]: https://dot.kde.org/2013/09/04/kde-release-structure-evolves
28
29 I'd love to try KDE 5. So far I've been able to install Frameworks from the KDE
30 overlay. I then tried to install the workspace, but it seems that it can't
31 coexist with kde 4 (I get blockers from several kde 4 packages when trying to
32 install). Is this correct, or am I doing something wrong? I use paludis as
33 package manager, so maybe it behaves differently from portage and this is the
34 reason for the blockers.
35
36 I remember that when KDE 4 was released I used to run the live version,
37 rebuilding everything every day. It was a very pleasant experience being able to
38 witness how the programs improved, day after day. But I could do that because I
39 could have both KDE 4 and KDE 3 installed at the same time: those days when a
40 program I needed broke horribly in the KDE 4 live version, I could go on working
41 using the KDE 3 version. Currently, if indeed KDE 4 and KDE 5 workspace can't be
42 installed at the same time, I'll have to wait before trying the latter.
43
44 Stefano