From: Hans-Werner Hilse <hilse@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] kill a child and suicide
Date: Wed, 03 May 2006 21:17:56
1 Hi,
2
3 On Wed, 3 May 2006 20:38:49 +0100 (WEST)
4 Jorge Almeida <jalmeida@××××××××××××.pt> wrote:
5
6 > On Wed, 3 May 2006, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
7 >
8 > > Putting something in the background doesn't change what it's std(in|out|
9 > > err) are attached to. They will still go to the [pt]ty like normal. If
10 > Right, my mistake. Still, the parent script will exit sucessfuly, and
11 > then how can the backgrounded process be controlled, other than by
12 > killing it with kill -TERM or something like that?
13
14 Signals are the only way (or you have a "parent died" logic inside the
15 child process). And this will always open a racing condition when
16 relying on shell scripting, like I showed in my earlier answer. But for
17 multilog this won't matter as stdin/stdout is dup'ed to the child. It
18 does matter, though, for security holes.
19
20 > > you *want* then redirected somewhere else, you are free to do so with
21 > > standard redirection operations before the ampersand.
22 > I don't want redirection. Multilog will grasp stdout, but only of the
23 > parent process (I think); once the latter exits, I don't think the other
24 > process will be accessible.
25
26 It doesn't exit. It's just a shell built-in "wait" (no, in fact, it is
27 a glibc built-in "wait"). The file handles are kind of dup'ed, so
28 multilog should work just fine.
29
30 -hwh
31 --