From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] http-replicator permissions
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 2011 14:50:20
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Tue, 05 Apr 2011 21:38:06 +1000, Jake Moe wrote:
5 >>> for the distfiles http-replicator is great. Example:
6 >>> Box one has the tarball. Box 2, 3 and 4 can download it as well. Box
7 >>> one does not have the tarball. Box 2 may search for it, box one will
8 >>> download it and give it to box 2. Then box 3 and 4 can download it
9 >>> from box one as well.
10 >>>
11 >
12 >> Well, I suppose I'll have to look into that then, won't I? Thanks for
13 >> the info.
14 >>
15 > Alternatively, use an NFS mount as $DISTDIR and you don't end up with
16 > copies of the tarballs on every machine on the network.
20 I did that once and I don't recall having any problems. I had 4 rigs
21 plus a really slow dial-up connection. When I found out about
22 http-replicator and rsync, I started using it. I couldn't tell any
23 difference tho.
24
25 If you do use NFS, I think you have to run emerge --metadata on the
26 secondary machines. That may have changed since it has been a while.
27
28 Dale
29