From: Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Stable MythTV removed from portage?
Date: Mon, 03 Jul 2006 21:44:38
1 On Mon, 3 Jul 2006 06:05:30 -0700
2 Mark Knecht wrote:
3
4 > On 7/2/06, Nick Rout <nick@×××××××.nz> wrote:
7 > > If it is so stable and you have it on 5 machines then why are you
8 > > wanting to install it again?
9 >
10 > I don't. I just don't want messages about things being installed for
11 > which there is no atom, or whatever the message is.
12
13 Then follow the advice given and add it to an overlay
16 > More importantly (to me) is that when looking at a distro like this
17 > what are the issues with leaving an older revision in portage? I
18 > don't see what the maintainance issues are. It's been a working ebuild
19 > for a long time. Why remove it. Just leave it there.
20
21 How far back should it go? Should we leave beta versions of firefox in
22 portage? How about kde 1? How bloody big do you want the portage tree to
23 be? How about when some dependency is no longer compatible with myth
24 0.18 ?
27 >I suppose files
28 > could move and then the ebuild would need an update
29
30 Volunteering are you?
31
32 >but other than
33 > that how much work is being saved for one person vs. a decision by
34 > that one person to force lots of people to upgrade? (All
35 > rhetorical....)
36 >
37 > - Mark
38 > --