From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE 4.1...
Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 18:35:07
1 On Thursday 28 August 2008 17:56:37 Andrew Gaydenko wrote:
2 > Ben, sorry, my question is OT wrt your message.
3 >
4 > Are there indeed good things (I don't mean ruches and flowers) in KDE4 to
5 > worry about them at all? Reading all those KDE4 reviews I really can not
6 > understand why KDE4 may be more useful for me rather KDE3.
7
8 Don't even bother trying KDE4 if you have a recent nVidia card. Performance is
9 atrocious as KDE4 uses acceleration effects in plasma etc that nVidia didn't
10 account for in their driver, with the results that significant amounts of
11 rendering are done using a software path (i.e. not in hardware), which is very
12 slow.
13
14 There also doesn't appear to be any quick fix coming anytime soon.
17 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com