From: pk <peterk2@××××××××.se>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT rant] udev + /usr
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 17:45:48
1 On 2011-09-18 15:31, Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2
3 > Hey, that's really cool.
4
5 I agree.
6
7 > Just don't expect everybody to run our systems without the modern
8 > parts of the stack just because a Commodore 64 cannot run it.
9
10 I think you need to take a closer look; it does support a lot of
11 "modern" parts of the "stack" (as you call it); it's just focused on the
12 things that matters (for an embedded system). It is the mindset that I'm
13 after; it seems even kernel developers are thinking "oh, we have so much
14 memory here so it doesn't matter if we use a few GB here" (yes, I'm
15 exaggerating). Intel and AMD can't increase the clocks anymore so
16 they've started to throw more hardware on the ever increasing demand for
17 computing power... there will be a time when the "bloat" will take it's
18 toll on more users.
19
20 > Many of us actually like the modern features of the kernel, glibc,
21 > udev, dbus, systemd, pulseaudio, glib, X.org, GStreamer, Gtk+ and
22
23 There's a lot of people that like Windows 7 and MacOS X too, I hear.
24 What the ultimate goal (in my view) for systemd, pulseaudio etc. seems
25 to be is to mimic (poorly) the mentioned OS's. Why go through all that
26 trouble when they can just go out and buy what they want?
27
28 The Linux kernel, glibc and X I "like", udev used to be nice (well, my
29 currently installed version works fine), the rest is redundant (more or
30 less) - in my view (particularly pulseaudio & systemd); I really don't
31 understand what problems they are solving.
32
33 > GNOME (or Qt and KDE). In my case (and I have used Linux for a long
34
35 I also have used GNU/Linux for quite a while (1995) and have seen "it"
36 grow from quite humble (but capable) beginnings to what it is today
37 (even Linus Torvalds thinks the kernel is bloated) and I'll refrain from
38 commenting on gnome (and to a lesser extent KDE). The best install I've
39 ever had was a LFS install around 2000 running on a Abit BP6 with two
40 celeron CPUs and a scsi harddrive (9GB)... :-)
41
42 > time), the whole stack looks full of awsomeness, and stuff just works
43 > most of the time.
44
45 No comment. :-/
46