From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How can I control size of /run (tmpfs)?
Date: Sat, 26 May 2012 20:30:00
1 Jarry wrote:
2 > On 26-May-12 22:01, Dale wrote:
3 >> Jarry wrote:
4 >>>
5 >>> after updating baselayout from 2.0.3 to 2.1-r1 /run is mounted
6 >>> as tmpfs. But I can not find any mount-option for controlling
7 >>> how much memory is (or could be) used for it.
8 >>>
9 >>> Filesystem 1K-blocks Used Available Use% Mounted on
10 >>> tmpfs 8223848 224 8223624 1% /run
11 >>>
12 >>> I know it does not use 8GB right now, yet I'd like to reduce
13 >>> it to some lower value, not half of my physical memory.
14 >>> How can I do it? Can I simply add line in fstab like:
15 >>>
16 >>> none /run tmpfs size=128m 0 0 ???
17 >>>
18 >>> Jarry
19 >>
20 >> Holy smoke ! Mine is doing the same thing.
21 >> tmpfs 7.9G 260K 7.9G 1% /run
22 >>
23 >> But I also have this:
24 >> tmpfs 7.9G 0 7.9G 0% /var/tmp/portage
25 >>
26 >> So, between those two, I could run out of ram since I have 16Gbs.
27 >>
28 >> There is now TWO people that needs a answer to this question. Why does
29 >> it need that much anyway? It looks to me like a few hundred Mbs, like
30 >> Jarry posted, would be plenty. Jeepers creepers. lol
31 >>
32 >> Dale
33 >
34 > I suppose default size for tmpfs is half of physical memory,
35 > if it is not configured somewhere else.
36 >
37 > BTW, is there any way to turn this great feature off?
38 > What is it good for? I do not see any advantage in having
39 > /run on tmpfs...
40 >
41 > Jarry
44 I had no idea it was doing this either until your post. I got the same
45 questions as you do. Why is it there? Why so much is allocated to it?
46 Where can we change the settings for this questionable "feature"?
47
48 I'm hoping someone will come along and answer both our questions. I'm
49 really hoping for a place we can change the settings. I don't mind it
50 being there so much if it is useful. I would like to know its purpose
51 tho.
52
53 Dale
54
58 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
59 how you interpreted my words!
60
61 Miss the compile output? Hint:
62 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"