From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Why exactly am I supposed to install Python 3?
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 22:43:10
1 On 2009-12-07, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Monday 07 December 2009 22:24:14 Grant Edwards wrote:
3 >> My most recent update displayed the following messages from
4 >> Python 2.6.4 and Python 2.4.6:
5 >>
6 >> "It is highly recommended to additionally install Python 3,"
7 >>
8 >> Why is it highly recommended? I use a lot of modules that
9 >> aren't support by Python 3, and AFAICT few of the system
10 >> applications will even work with Python 3. So why is
11 >> installing it "highly recommended"?
12 >
13 > Because that's the python ebuild maintainer's opinion.
14 > Python-3 is new! shiny! and he likely thinks it's cool.
15
16 Here's the entire message:
17
18 It is highly recommended to additionally install Python 3,
19 but without configuring Python wrapper to use Python 3.
20
21 After puzzling over it for while, I think maybe it's supposed
22 to mean:
23
24 If you want to install/use Python 3 it is highly recommended
25 that you do not configure Python wrapper to use Python 3.
26
27 > There is no good reason to follow this advice just yet, as you
28 > rightly note very little (if anything) *requires* python-3 at
29 > this juncture.
30 >
31 > The only benefit, which is questionable, is that python-3 is
32 > where its at development-wise, and maybe perhaps the 2* series
33 > will become unmaintained (shades of KDE-3). But I suspect that
34 > day is still far off.
35
36 That's _years_ away. The 2.x series is still being actively
37 developed and maintained. AFAICT, there are still a lot of
38 modules and programs that don't work with Python 3. I wouldn't
39 expect people working on "production" code to move away from
40 2.x for a long time.
41
42 Quoting from the page on Python 2.7 (released today):
43
44 Python 2.7 is scheduled to be the last major version in the
45 2.x series before it moves into 5 years of bugfix-only mode.
46
47 So there's at least 5 years of life left in the 2.x series.
50 Grant Edwards grante Yow! I am covered with
51 at pure vegetable oil and I am
52 visi.com writing a best seller!