From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Why exactly am I supposed to install Python 3?
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 2009 21:11:45
1 On Monday 07 December 2009 22:24:14 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > My most recent update displayed the following messages from
3 > Python 2.6.4 and Python 2.4.6:
4 >
5 > "It is highly recommended to additionally install Python 3,"
6 >
7 > Why is it highly recommended? I use a lot of modules that
8 > aren't support by Python 3, and AFAICT few of the system
9 > applications will even work with Python 3. So why is
10 > installing it "highly recommended"?
11
12 Because that's the python ebuild maintainer's opinion.
13 Python-3 is new! shiny! and he likely thinks it's cool.
14
15 There is no good reason to follow this advice just yet, as you rightly note
16 very little (if anything) *requires* python-3 at this juncture.
17
18 The only benefit, which is questionable, is that python-3 is where its at
19 development-wise, and maybe perhaps the 2* series will become unmaintained
20 (shades of KDE-3). But I suspect that day is still far off.
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com