From: Drew <drew.kay@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] RSA Vs DSA keys for SSH authentication
Date: Mon, 09 Oct 2006 22:56:51
1 > > DSA is mathematically stronger than RSA. However, that doesn't mean much
2 > > since most attacks don't come from attacking the core of the algorithm
3 > > anyway.
4 >
5 > Do you mean that an RSA key with twice the number of bits (e.g. 2048 or even
6 > higher) is still weaker (i.e. easier to crack) than the DSA key? I know it's
7 > all psychological, but in my paranoid state it'll make me feel
8 > better . . . :))
9
10 I think what he means is that for a given key length, 1024bits in this
11 case, the DSA key is, mathematically speaking, a stronger key. RSA has
12 the advantage of allowing longer key lengths which makes RSA a
13 stronger key, if you use >1024bits key length.
14
15 But as he also pointed out, most hackers try to find other areas of
16 weakness to exploit so the key strength becomes moot in that case.
19 -Andrew Kay
20 --
21 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list