From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT rant] udev + /usr
Date: Sun, 18 Sep 2011 10:04:20
1 Am Sonntag 18 September 2011, 11:23:43 schrieb pk:
2 > On 2011-09-18 09:37, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 > > Other systems may start to use it if it proves itself useful. Lucky for
4 > > us, it doesn't obsolete anything else, just adds functionality to what
5 > > is already there.
6 >
7 > Although, one thing which I find very annoying is that the things that
8 > depend on it starts dbus-launch/daemon no matter if I don't want to run
9 > it or not (it's not running acc. to rc-update show but ps -ef shows both
10 > dbus-launch and dbus-daemon running). I'm using Xfce4 and have Audacious
11 > installed which depends on dbus-glib, which of course depends on dbus
12 > itself. No other packages uses it (USE= -dbus). Xfce4 and Audacious
13 > hasn't used dbus before a certain version (at least it has not been
14 > mandatory) and I've been using them for years (haven't had the time to
15 > look for alternatives yet).
16 > In general I have a problem with packages that pulls in *something*
17 > which in turn depends on *something else* which in turn... overlapping
18 > functionality etc. It's quite troublesome to keep, for instance, gconf
19 > out of my system (masked by me to detect any "upgrades" that tries to
20 > pull it in)...
21 >
22 > In my "world" software (in general) should not become an "obstacle"; it
23 > is just a tool to accomplish whatever you want it to do. Ideally the OS
24 > (and whatever interfaces the user) shouldn't consume _any_ resources at
25 > all (yes, I'm well aware that it's not possible). Resource usage should
26 > at least be kept to a minimum, otherwise I have to buy new faster
27 > hardware for each "upgrade" (be it for security, for functionality etc.)
28 > and if I liked that I could just go with Windows. My whole complaint
29 > about this udev business is that we're "ballooning" out of control, IMO,
30 > becoming the "monster" that, I assume, most of us wanted to avoid.
31 >
32 > PS. My animosity towards dbus is "historical"; I did use it years ago
33 > (together with gnome, gconf etc.) which caused me nothing but trouble.
34 > I've avoided that crap ever since. I do agree that the idea _behind_
35 > dbus seems sensible but I'm not so sure about the implementation.
36 >
37 > Best regards
38 >
39 > Peter K
40
41 years ago? is gnome even using dbus for years? They had their broken
42 corba/orbit/bonobo stuff.
43
44 And what is your problem with dbus anyway? I bet you can't even measure a
45 difference between dbus running and dbus not running in speed or
46 responsiveness of your gui.
49 #163933