From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: File transfer via USB?
Date: Sun, 25 Apr 2021 19:13:05
1 On 4/25/21 12:14 PM, Grant Edwards wrote:
2 > Nope. Many years ago I used UUCP a number of times for "production"
3 > projects involving data gathering from remote systems via dial-up.
4
5 :-)
6
7 > 25+ years ago, I wrote an article about one of those projects for
8 > Linux Journal.
9
10 Can you narrow that down any more? I'd like to go find a copy of it and
11 read it.
12
13 > UUCP would work a treat for the problem I initially posed.
14
15 :-)
16
17 > Back in the day, I always used Taylor-UUCP, and I'm pretty sure I could
18 > get it working again on Linux, but I have little confidence I could
19 > get it working on Win10.
20
21 I'm quite confident that Taylor-UUCP can be made to work on contemporary
22 Linux and macOS (Big Sur and it's predecessors) as I've got exactly that
23 working. What's more, I've got it working across SSH as a transport in
24 lieu of serial connections.
25
26 > I'd probably have better luck with Kermit.
27
28 Please elaborate.
29
30 I know very little about Kermit. I've looked at it a number of times
31 over the last 20 years, but it's never presented a feature that I
32 couldn't do with other things. I don't know if I'm just too late to the
33 Kermit game to properly appreciate it or if I'm completely missing
34 something.
35
36 My fear is that Kermit would be more manual for transferring files one
37 at a time. Maybe I'm wrong.
38
39 Hence, please elaborate about Kermit. ;-)
40
41 > It turns out the initial requirements that I was given were wrong, and
42 > the Windows machine does have some limited Internet access via a VPN
43 > and proxy, and I can get files to/from the Windows machine that way.
44
45 ~chuckle~
46
47 That happens.