From: Carlos Sura <carlos.sura1@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Managing rDNS with BIND
Date: Sat, 14 Jan 2012 19:36:30
1 On 8 January 2012 16:02, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > On Sat, 7 Jan 2012 09:45:44 -0600
4 > Carlos Sura <carlos.sura1@××××××××××.com> wrote:
5 >
6 > > Hello mates,
7 > >
8 > > I have a problem, my provider does not want to set rDNS to my IP's
9 > > since I have 5 IP's rotating for my server, I don't know why. So he
10 > > told me I can do this manually.
11 > >
12 > > So I've added this as a master zone:
13 > > $ttl 38400
14 > > 80.236.109.in-addr.arpa. IN SOA dominio.dominio.com.
15 > > abuse.dominio.com. (notice that last digits are miss)
16 > > 1325905990
17 > > 10800
18 > > 3600
19 > > 604800
20 > > 38400 )
21 > > 80.236.109.in-addr.arpa. IN NS dominio.dominio.com.
22 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
23 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
24 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR ns1.dominio.com.
25 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
26 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
27 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR ns2.dominio.com.
28 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
29 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
30 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
31 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
32 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR dominio.com.
33 > > xx.xx.xxx.xxx.in-addr.arpa. IN PTR mail.dominio.com.
36 > > But it does not reflect any change in any machine, just in the local
37 > > machine I get the answer, when I try in any other machine, it still
38 > > showing me the rDNS of my provider.
41 > The reason is quite simple and most sane ISPs will do it that way.
42 >
43 > rDNS is NOT your A records in reverse, and you have no right of access
44 > to the zone.
45 >
46 > in-addr.arpa serves an entirely different purpose, it documents the
47 > layout of the ISPs address space. Your 5 IPs have not been delegated to
48 > you and you do not own them per whois, they still belong to your ISP and
49 > are merely recorded in the ISP record as assigned for your use.
50 >
51 > Therefore the ISP will use their own documentation standards to
52 > determine what is in the rDNS zone.
53 >
54 > Additionally, delegating out a /29 is a gigantic pain in the arse and
55 > leads to an unmaintainable mess in very short order (so says the poor
56 > sucker that's had to fix it...). At work we never sub-delegate out rDNS
57 > to customers; but we do do it for downstream re-sellers as they are
58 > ISPs in the in own right.
59 >
60 > So your ISP is quite correct in what they are saying. However, I would
61 > like to see a clarification of what your support contact means when he
62 > says "do it manually" - that doesn't make any sense
63 >
64 > --
65 > Alan McKinnon
69 Hello Alan McKinnon,
70
71 Thank you for your answer, I get you now you explained everything I needed
72 to know. About my ISP, they changed it for me, since I was sending a lot of
73 ticket support to them, because they have a poor support, I understand they
74 don't manage and help me with a lot of things, basically I don't need them,
75 the only thing I was asking for is to set the rDNS for me, hopefully they
76 did, cause I told them, that I really don't understand what they mean by
77 "do it by myself" and I was reading all BIND ebook to understad how
78 delegation works.
79
80 Regards
83 Carlos Sura.-