From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to "freeze" my Gentoo system
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:07:10
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 11 March 2009 22:40:54 Michael Higgins wrote:
3 >
4 >> Don't know the proper term, but I want to stop version updates for a while,
5 >> yet allow package-rN updates...
8 > This doesn't seem to be a built-in feature of portage after a quick scan of
9 > the man pages. But I can think of a method to do it the long way round:
10 >
11 > The atom syntax you want is <package>~ which means any -rN version (including
12 > -r0) of the base version.
13 >
14 > You could grab a complete list of your system and world (emerge -et), mangle
15 > it into shape with grep, sed and awk and redirect the whole lot to a
16 > package.mask file in a format something like this:
19 >> app-1.1.0~
24 >> I spent most of the last couple of days killing two bugs that were a
25 >> serious drag on my laptop, involving kacpid hogging the CPU on a resume, or
26 >> bay swap, and gnome panel freezing on > 7 open windows (a real deal
27 >> killer). I'd like to spend a few months just using it now that it all
28 >> works...
29 >>
30 >> So with the latest kernel in the tree unmasked (kacpid bug fix) and a
31 >> couple of patches and ebuilds in my overlay for a pair of unmasked x11 and
32 >> gnome packages, what is the method to keep this 'world' in a 'set' and
33 >> 'forgotten' state? '-)
34 >>
35 >> Cheers,
41 Could he just not sync and call it a day? I suspect this is going to
42 bite him one day tho. We know Gentoo likes to be updated fairly
43 regular. I been around Gentoo for years and I don't think I would want
44 to do this. I'm not sure how much experience the OP has tho.
45
46 I do understand that getting something stable and working then wanting
47 to keep it that way. I'm just wondering what his mileage may be in the
48 long run.
49
50 Dale
51