From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to "freeze" my Gentoo system
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 08:14:51
1 On Thursday 12 March 2009 10:07:03 Dale wrote:
2
3 > Could he just not sync and call it a day? I suspect this is going to
4 > bite him one day tho. We know Gentoo likes to be updated fairly
5 > regular. I been around Gentoo for years and I don't think I would want
6 > to do this. I'm not sure how much experience the OP has tho.
7
8 Michael's been around a while, his name is familiar. He did say he wants -rN
9 updates so I take that to mean he wants bug fixes and security updates but
10 everything else to stay that same and especially no potential ABI/API changes
11
12 Not an unreasonable thing actually - it's what you get with RedHat or any
13 decent enterprise distro
14
15 > I do understand that getting something stable and working then wanting
16 > to keep it that way. I'm just wondering what his mileage may be in the
17 > long run.
18
19 I can only imagine what will happen if he forgets that package.mask and then
20 removes it six months later:-)
23 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com