From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] How to "freeze" my Gentoo system
Date: Thu, 12 Mar 2009 07:58:07
1 On Wednesday 11 March 2009 22:40:54 Michael Higgins wrote:
2 > Don't know the proper term, but I want to stop version updates for a while,
3 > yet allow package-rN updates...
4
5 This doesn't seem to be a built-in feature of portage after a quick scan of
6 the man pages. But I can think of a method to do it the long way round:
7
8 The atom syntax you want is <package>~ which means any -rN version (including
9 -r0) of the base version.
10
11 You could grab a complete list of your system and world (emerge -et), mangle
12 it into shape with grep, sed and awk and redirect the whole lot to a
13 package.mask file in a format something like this:
14
15 >app-1.1.0~
19 > I spent most of the last couple of days killing two bugs that were a
20 > serious drag on my laptop, involving kacpid hogging the CPU on a resume, or
21 > bay swap, and gnome panel freezing on > 7 open windows (a real deal
22 > killer). I'd like to spend a few months just using it now that it all
23 > works...
24 >
25 > So with the latest kernel in the tree unmasked (kacpid bug fix) and a
26 > couple of patches and ebuilds in my overlay for a pair of unmasked x11 and
27 > gnome packages, what is the method to keep this 'world' in a 'set' and
28 > 'forgotten' state? '-)
29 >
30 > Cheers,
33 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com