From: Wols Lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] NFS and user IDs
Date: Mon, 11 Jun 2018 17:33:17
1 On 11/06/18 09:54, Joerg Schilling wrote:
2 > Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 09/06/18 18:09, Rich Freeman wrote:
5 > ...
6 >>> downsides as well, in particular it is certainly more complex and at
7 >>> work we practically forbid any kind of windows ACLs at anything other
8 >>> than the top mount level because it is so hard to control.
9 >>
10 >> Windows is better than POSIX?! That doesn't say much for POSIX then,
11 >> seeing as I feel Windows ACLs are overly complex and difficult!
12 >
13 > Well, "Windows ACLs" is the only ACL system that is standardized (as part of
14 > the NFSv4 standard). The old proposal in POSIX.1e from 1993 from Sun has been
15 > withdrawn in 1997 since the customers did not like it.
16 >
17 Ummm - just because it's standard doesn't mean it's any good :-)
18
19 This version I'm talking about dates from about 1983. The company making
20 it went bust in 1991.
21
22 I've just had a quick look at the NFS v4 RFC, and almost the first thing
23 I see is DENY entries. These ACLs don't have deny, because it's
24 pointless. And DENY is exactly why I think Posix/Windows ACLs are
25 confusing and hard to use.
26
27 Cheers,
28 Wol