From: James Ausmus <james.ausmus@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Choppy video playback
Date: Tue, 29 Jan 2008 20:26:20
1 On Jan 28, 2008 5:57 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org> wrote:
2 > On Mon, Jan 28, 2008 at 10:29:47PM +0900, Mike Mazur wrote
3 >
4 > > But the list of packages being recompiled have mostly to do with
5 > > video, audio and transcoding. I understand it's the --newuse flag
6 > > that's causing those, not the additional parameters in CFLAGS. Will
7 > > the CFLAGS have benefits on other packages? Such as Firefox or maybe
8 > > netscape-flash? For those I might want to do an emerge --emptytree
9 > > world...
10 >
11 > If all the other stuff isn't being re-compiled, "-march=prescott"
12 > probably includes them by default, so there's no point in re-building
13 > your system. The CFLAGS were probably included by default.
14
15 Portage *does not* look at CFLAGS in determining what to rebuild (even
16 with -uDN) - portage only looks at USE flags and dependency
17 upgrades/versions. Mike is correct in saying that, for packages to be
18 recompiled with the new CFLAGS, he would have to recompile that
19 package directly. emerge -e world is a good way to do this.\
20
21 -James
25 > If you need a speed boost in Firefox, there is some additional
26 > tweaking that can be done. The pango library allows Firefox to
27 > simultaneously render US English text (if that's your system locale)
28 > *AND* Chinese, and other similar text. It slows down Firefox in the
29 > process. If you're willing to give up on Asiatic text, you can cause
30 > Firefox to not link against pango, by including the line...
31 >
32 > www-client/mozilla-firefox moznopango
33 >
34 > ...in /etc/portage/package.use It's your decision whether occasional
35 > Asiatic scripts or a faster Firefox is worth more to you.
36
37 Removing Pango will almost definitely increase the render/scroll speed
38 of Firefox.
39
40 However, from the symptoms that Mike is describing (system-wide
41 momentary pauses, after which the system resumes normal
42 responsiveness) sounds much more like a kernel-level issue - either
43 I/O speed issues (check to make sure your hard drive is running at
44 full speed and you have native controller supported compiled in to
45 your kernel - also, what is your I/O scheduler set to by default?) or
46 the Scheduler (process scheduler). What version of which kernel are
47 you running? What does your .config look like?
48
49 I had similar issues with momentarily frozen responsiveness on my
50 laptop, until I upgraded to 2.6.23.x, which has the new CFS scheduler
51 in it - seems to help responsiveness quite a bit.
52
53 HTH
54
55 -James