From: Michael Orlitzky <michael@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is so AWESOME
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 23:48:29
1 On 07/30/2013 02:16 PM, hasufell wrote:
2 > And we need MOAR devs
3 >
4 > http://www.gentoo.org/proj/en/devrel/handbook/handbook.xml?part=1&chap=2
5 > https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Project:Gentoo/Staffing_Needs
6 >
7 > so awesome! srsly!
8 >
9 > What many people don't seem to get is: you don't need to be a commit
10 > monkey doing your 100+ commits per week.
11 > Our minimum rate of commits is pretty low before you actually are forced
12 > to retire.
13 >
14 > Better have a lot of devs each one focussing on a few packages than
15 > having few devs working on the entire tree and messing up things randomly.
16 >
17 > It's not that much work, just some regular attention. You want to join!
20 (old rant)
21
22 I would like to become a developer. I already proxy maintain a few
23 packages, and have a few more in sunrise that I could take care of. I
24 could also triage bugs in my spare time.
25
26 But, there's no process to do so.
27
28 I want to become a dev, what's my next step? There is none. Help out,
29 and maybe someone will notice you? Ok, I'm on it. Been doing it for
30 years, and I know several other people in the same situation. It doesn't
31 work, and recruitment numbers are plummeting.
32
33 There needs to be an explicit, documented process. And someone devoted
34 full-time to mentoring new recruits. I can think of no better long-term
35 investment of the foundation's money.