From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [ot] no more inodes
Date: Fri, 29 May 2009 02:12:17
1 On Donnerstag 28 Mai 2009, Florian Philipp wrote:
2 > Maxim Wexler schrieb:
3 > > Hi group,
4 > >
5 > > For a netbook 4G SSD. Attempting to install mozilla-firefox. jdk
6 > > fails: No space left on device.
7 > >
8 > > df -i reveals no more inodes. I reboot thinking this will help. Wrong.
9 > > Lots of 'No space left on device messages' with reference to
10 > > /var/lib/iinit.d/* in the boot console. And this gem: '*ERROR: local
11 > > is already starting'. And: '*ERROR: netmount is already starting'.
12 > >
13 > > df -i
14 > >
15 > > Filesytem Inodes Iused IFree IUse% Mounted on
16 > > /dev/sda2 244320 244301 19 100% /
17 > > udev 128448 612 127836 1% /dev
18 > > /dev/sda1 8032 39 7993 1% /boot
19 > > tmpfs 128448 3 1 28445 1% /tmp
20 > >
21 > > FYI sda2 is formatted ext3.
22 > >
23 > > I know 4G is pretty small by today's standards but apart from xorg and
24 > > firefox everything else on this unit is command-line type utilities
25 > > and such. That can't account for 4G already.
26 > >
27 > > Maxim
28 >
29 > That you run out of inodes doesn't mean that you run out of physical (or
30 > logical) space on your disk. It just means that you run out of what you
31 > could call file descriptors.
32 >
33 > There is exactly one inode per file which stores meta information about
34 > this file. Ext2-4 have a fixed amount of inodes set when you format the
35 > partition. Reiserfs and JFS create them on the fly and therefore don't
36 > have problems with running out of inodes or wasting space on unused ones.
37 >
38 > Most likely you have a bunch of very small files on our disk, for
39 > example the portage tree. These don't consume much space but a lot of
40 > inodes.
41 >
42 > My advice: Save everything to another disk and then reformat the
43 > partition with a higher amount of inodes. If you use ext2, format it with
44 >
45 > mke2fs -N 732960 /dev/sda2
46 >
47 > This will create a file system with three times as many indoes as you
48 > had before.
49 >
50 > Hope this helps.
51