From: Florian Philipp <lists@××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [ot] no more inodes
Date: Thu, 28 May 2009 16:17:07
1 Maxim Wexler schrieb:
2 > Hi group,
3 >
4 > For a netbook 4G SSD. Attempting to install mozilla-firefox. jdk
5 > fails: No space left on device.
6 >
7 > df -i reveals no more inodes. I reboot thinking this will help. Wrong.
8 > Lots of 'No space left on device messages' with reference to
9 > /var/lib/iinit.d/* in the boot console. And this gem: '*ERROR: local
10 > is already starting'. And: '*ERROR: netmount is already starting'.
11 >
12 > df -i
13 >
14 > Filesytem Inodes Iused IFree IUse% Mounted on
15 > /dev/sda2 244320 244301 19 100% /
16 > udev 128448 612 127836 1% /dev
17 > /dev/sda1 8032 39 7993 1% /boot
18 > tmpfs 128448 3 1 28445 1% /tmp
19 >
20 > FYI sda2 is formatted ext3.
21 >
22 > I know 4G is pretty small by today's standards but apart from xorg and
23 > firefox everything else on this unit is command-line type utilities
24 > and such. That can't account for 4G already.
25 >
26 > Maxim
29 That you run out of inodes doesn't mean that you run out of physical (or
30 logical) space on your disk. It just means that you run out of what you
31 could call file descriptors.
32
33 There is exactly one inode per file which stores meta information about
34 this file. Ext2-4 have a fixed amount of inodes set when you format the
35 partition. Reiserfs and JFS create them on the fly and therefore don't
36 have problems with running out of inodes or wasting space on unused ones.
37
38 Most likely you have a bunch of very small files on our disk, for
39 example the portage tree. These don't consume much space but a lot of
40 inodes.
41
42 My advice: Save everything to another disk and then reformat the
43 partition with a higher amount of inodes. If you use ext2, format it with
44
45 mke2fs -N 732960 /dev/sda2
46
47 This will create a file system with three times as many indoes as you
48 had before.
49
50 Hope this helps.