From: Peter Weilbacher <newsspam@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gnome audio (mixer) question [SOLVED YET AGAIN]
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 09:11:29
1 On 25.10.2009 18:07, walt wrote:
2 > On 10/25/2009 08:19 AM, walt wrote:
3 >
4 >> Merging gnome-media with the pulseaudio USE flag breaks
5 >> gnome-volume-control most horribly IMO, but OTOH I don't
6 >> understand pulseaudio, so maybe I'm wrong.
7 >
8 > I found the gnome 2.26 upgrade guide, which points to the
9 > pulseaudio documentation.
10 >
11 > It seems that pulseaudio has its own mixer control (not
12 > included in gentoo's pulseaudio package) so maybe it does
13 > make sense to remove that function from gnome's volume
14 > control applet.
15
16 Looking at the pulseaudio documentation it seems to be a very
17 well-designed system. But there are so many components to it that I
18 found it very confusing to configure. In fact, after fiddling around
19 with it for two days, I gave up on that, removed USE=pulseaudio
20 again, and rebuilt world.
21 Now I only have the problem that I cannot start the GNOME "Volume
22 Control" applet any more. When I try I get
23
24 Some panel items are no longer available
25 One or more panel items (also referred to as applets) are
26 no longer available in the GNOME desktop.
27
28 These items will now be removed from your configuration:
29 • Volume Control
30 You will not receive this message again.
31
32 so I have to go to the full mixer in the menu instead.
33
34 My problem was that I never got any sound out of it, with any
35 application. And I lost all but one mixer slider. With the alsa-based
36 backend, my system has the peculiarity that it starts up with "Front"
37 and "Headphone" levels at 100% but muted and Master at 100% (unmuted),
38 I always have to unmute "Front" before I want any sound. With
39 pulseaudio active, all but the "Master" slider were gone, so I didn't
40 have any way to influence the levels on the other components. At
41 least that's what I am thinking might have been going on, but maybe
42 I'm wrong.
43
44 Peter.