From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gnome audio (mixer) question [SOLVED YET AGAIN]
Date: Mon, 26 Oct 2009 13:20:36
1 On 10/26/2009 02:10 AM, Peter Weilbacher wrote:
2 > On 25.10.2009 18:07, walt wrote:
3
4 >> It seems that pulseaudio has its own mixer control (not
5 >> included in gentoo's pulseaudio package) so maybe it does
6 >> make sense to remove that function from gnome's volume
7 >> control applet.
8 >
9 > Looking at the pulseaudio documentation it seems to be a very
10 > well-designed system. But there are so many components to it that I
11 > found it very confusing to configure. In fact, after fiddling around
12 > with it for two days, I gave up on that, removed USE=pulseaudio
13 > again, and rebuilt world.
14 > Now I only have the problem that I cannot start the GNOME "Volume
15 > Control" applet any more. When I try I get
16 >
17 > Some panel items are no longer available
18 > One or more panel items (also referred to as applets) are
19 > no longer available in the GNOME desktop.
20 >
21 > These items will now be removed from your configuration:
22 > • Volume Control
23
24 You say you rebuilt world. Was gnome-media actually rebuild without
25 the pulseaudio Use flag? That's where gnome-volume-control comes
26 from, not from the panel applets package.
27
28 BTW, you can also do nicely without the esd USE flag and esound also,
29 but you'll need to revdep-rebuild after because lots of packages will
30 break (but they all still work perfectly after the rebuild.)