From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo RPi boot to ram or read-only FS?
Date: Tue, 26 May 2020 18:27:32
1 On Tue, 26 May 2020 19:14:18 +0100, antlists wrote:
2
3 > > That's the Gentoo version that I'm using. But I'm looking for a way
4 > > to make it bullet-proof to having the plug pulled.
5 >
6 > Don't use an SD card? Seriously, pulling the power on an SD card has
7 > been known to corrupt it beyond recovery. BUT.
8
9 Mounting the card with sync will significantly reduce the likelihood of
10 corruption, at a cost of reduced life.
11
12 > Is the big worry that the home directory will get corrupted etc etc? I
13 > don't know if you can partition an SD card, but look at doing a
14 > kiosk-style install with the OS protected and read-only. Then look at
15 > sticking a loopback device on top of home, so that any changes exist
16 > only in ram, and are lost on shutdown. Hopefully, that means you now
17 > have a system that can boot and run off a write-protected SD card :-)
18
19 This will mitigate the reduced life as you are hardly writing to the
20 card. Booting from a read-only / has caused problems for me in the past,
21 because of the inability to write to /etc.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Politically Incorrect -- and damn proud of it!