From: Grant Edwards <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: [OT] Very recent change in behavior of gmail imap/smtp servers
Date: Wed, 22 Jul 2015 02:12:10
1 On 2015-07-22, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Very soon after being invited to open a gmail account, I discovered
4 > that google offers non-web-browser access to their free (as in beer)
5 > email servers.
6
7 Yep. Their IMAP implementation is pretty well done. Definitly better
8 than courier and far better than MS exchange server.
9
10 > This puzzled me (still does) because it seems to violate google's basic
11 > business model, which is based on advertising revenue. (I never see an
12 > advertisement when sending/reading email via smtp/imap, obviously.)
13
14 I think the theory is that you'll still use gmail via web some of the
15 time [I do when I want to search] and probably calendar, and contacts,
16 and other stuff [I certainly do]. Plus, they still get to trawl through
17 all your email traffic.
18
19 > Google has just introduced a 120-second delay before allowing login to
20 > their email servers. Just in the last day or two, literally.
21
22 I'm not seeing that with either of my gmail accounts. Same login
23 times as always (1-2 seconds) on both IMAP and SMTP servers.
26 Grant