From: Robert Bridge <robert@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} An old iBook G3 as server
Date: Thu, 23 Oct 2008 15:27:44
1 On Thu, 23 Oct 2008 12:49:27 +0200
2 Momesso Andrea <momesso.andrea@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > I alredy have a gentoo home server up and running with decent hardware
5 > (a FUJITSU SIEMENS Amilo M3438 laptop, Pentium M 1.86GHz, 1.5Gb ram)
6 > that I use for general purpose (backup, portage-rsync, bittorrent,
7 > groupware) and also for my wife's work (a joomla site, a ftp server,
8 > and a mailing list manager).
9 >
10 > The work my wife does as a researcher for the university is growing
11 > fast, her group relays in the ftp server for uploading important
12 > documents, and she also required me to set up a wiki.
13 >
14 > I now think it's time to set up something more "hardened" and to have
15 > a separated box for her work, to reduce the risk that I break things
16 > while trying experimental stuff, masked packeges ecc.
17 >
18 > It comes that they had from their mentor an old iBook G3 to see if
19 > it fits their needs.
20 >
21 > I will recive the machine tonight and start to work on it this
22 > weekend, so yet I don't know the amount of memory it has, but I know
23 > for sure it's expandible to 544Mb, and I will surely do the upgrade
24 > if needed.
25 >
26 > Here are my questions:
27 >
28 > - Is gentoo pcc stable enough to work on a server?
29 >
30 > - What kind of checks should I do to verify that the hardware
31 > (expecially the disk) is fine?
32 >
33 > - Is it possible to use the other server (x86) to build packages for
34 > the ppc?
35 >
36 > - Due to my limited space I'd like to mount some non-vital stuff on
37 > nfs shares. Is it aviceable to mount /usp/portage on nfs? or maybe
38 > just the distfiles?
39 >
40 > - What would you suggest for automatic daily backups?
41 >
42 > - I use gentoo as the only os on all my machines and it is the distro
43 > I fell confortable with, but is it really a good choiche in this case?
44 > Would a compiled distro better fit my needs?
45 >
46 > Thank yo in advance for your answers.
47
48 If you are round a university, I would actually suggest asking around
49 and seeing if there are old P3 workstations being thrown out. With a
50 little TLC, gentoo runs nicely on such hardware, especially as a
51 headless server in a corner. Such a box would also offer a LOT more
52 flexibility than an old laptop would, and they will probably be
53 delighted to get rid of it!
54
55 Rob.
56
57 (Has a little collection of such "rescued" machines.)