From: "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Beta test Gentoo with mdev instead of udev; version 5 - failure :-(
Date: Tue, 13 Mar 2012 21:23:16
1 On Tue, Mar 13, 2012 at 2:54 PM, Bruce Hill, Jr.
2 <daddy@×××××××××××××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 > On March 13, 2012 at 4:27 PM "Canek Peláez Valdés" <caneko@×××××.com>
7 > wrote:
8 > <snip>
9 >>
10 >> "Fringe" programs will not require udev, or it will be optional; but
11 >> the moment a "fringe" program reaches critical mass to become
12 >> "maistream", the probability of it needing udev (directly or
13 >> indirectly) will increase.
14 >>
15 >> I'm willing to bet a beer on that prediction.
16 >>
17 >> Regards.
18 >> --
19 >> Canek Peláez Valdés
23 > It _sounds_ like your definition of a "fringe" program is one that does not
24 > need udev; but when it becomes "mainstream" it will need udev. If not, you
25 > write us the definition of a "fringe" program and a "mainstream" program.
26 >
27 > Excuse me, but that's just incredibly _arrogant_!
28
29 Relax man. That's why "fringe" is written QUOTE fringe UNQUOTE, and
30 "mainstream" is written QUOTE mainstream UNQUOTE. If it makes you
31 happy, replace "fringe" with "GNOME/KDE/XFCE/lvm2-not-related" and
32 "mainstream" with "GNOME/KDE/XFCE/lvm2-related". That's using the very
33 same definition that Walter (the guy behind the mdev-instead-of-udev
34 effort) used just three mails below (or above, depending on your email
35 client).
36
37 Please chill, no need to get all worked out.
38
39 And I maintain my prediction.
40
41 Regards.