From: Ian Lee <ian@×××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is starting net.eth1 [not in rc-update]
Date: Sun, 28 Dec 2008 11:50:45
1 Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > I don't have an entry for net.eth1 in rc-update show
3 >
4 > I don't have any mention of eth1 in /etc/conf.d/net
5 > (only eth0)
6 >
7 > Nonetheless something continues to try to start net.eth1 during boot.
8 > What else controls that? If its not in rc-update or /etc/conf.d/net
9 > it shouldn't happen.
10 >
11 > I have a few other boot problems...I'm not sure where they arise from.
12 >
13 > hwclock is meddling about during shutdown.
14 > Again, it isn't shown in rc-update
15 > and /etc/conf.d/hwclock has this in it:
16 >
17 > # If you want to set the Hardware Clock to the current System Time
18 > # during shutdown, then say "YES" here. You normally don't need to
19 > # do this if you run a ntp daemon.
20 > clock_systohc="NO"
21 >
22 > Still, on a shutdown I can't get past this output:
23 >
24 > hwclock waiting for localmount
25 > (Over and over)
26 >
27 > I have to hit a manual reset on the computer to get past
28 > hwclock waiting for localmount
29 >
30 > Also klogd cannot be stopped by reboot or shutdown. But at least,
31 > unlike hwclock, after a pause the shutdown proceeds anyway.
32 >
33 > eix -Ic openrc
34 > sys-apps/openrc (0.4.1@12/25/08): OpenRC manages the services, startup
35 > and shutdown of a host
36 >
37 > eix -Ic udev
38 > [I] sys-fs/udev (135-r2@12/24/08): Linux dynamic and persistent device
39 > naming support (aka userspace devfs)
43 1) net.eth1 problem
44
45 There is a udev hook for starting net.* init scripts,
46 /lib/udev/rules.d/90-network.rules to be precise
49 2) Openrc problem
50 I'm asuming here the openrc problems are from a recent upgrade you have
51 done and not inslalled the the runlevels required sadly they are not
52 done automatically. Have a look in /usr/share/openrc/runlevels these are
53 needed for openrc to work copy any that don't exist in /etc/runlevels
54 most important are sysinit and shutdown, boot and default are likey to
55 be fine