From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dolphin and adding a option, if it exists.
Date: Sat, 08 Oct 2022 03:45:06
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Neil Bothwick wrote:
3 >> On Thu, 6 Oct 2022 10:10:52 +0200, Arve Barsnes wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> This is probably a case of Dolphin not being a good tool, unless it
6 >>> has a built-in command-line?
7 >>> $ mv newfile oldfile
8 >>> will overwrite the old file in place with the new file with the name
9 >>> of the old file.
10 >> And tab-completion makes this a lot quicker than renaming files in a file
11 >> manager.
12 >>
13 > This is a option I haven't thought of.  The mv command is a good
14 > thought.  Next time I have a lot of these to do, I'll try it.  It just
15 > may work.  Plus, tab completion would be a nice bonus.
18 I just got a couple dozen videos that I want to do what I described
19 with.  I used the -v option with mv plus double check in dolphin
20 afterwards and so far, it works nicely.  Tab completion makes it really
21 easy.  It's faster than all the properties window, copy, paste and all
22 that.  I might add, along with tab completion, I also use the highlight
23 and middle click on the mouse.  A faster way to copy and paste when
24 needed.  That's a nifty feature of Konsole.
27 >>> I know there are many file managers with a built-in terminal, so maybe
28 >>> others have similar possible solutions. I saw someone mention midnight
29 >>> commander which I believe is one.
30 >> Or you could use a drop-down terminal like Yakuake to give a terminal on
31 >> demand, whatever program you are using. Yakuake is for KDE, it wraps
32 >> Konsole, but there are GNOME-ish variants too, I wouldn't be without it.
35 > I look into Yakuake.  I've never heard of it before.  It's emerging and
36 > I have to run to town to help a friend.
37 >
38 > Thanks.
39 >
40 > Dale
41 >
42 > :-)  :-)
46 I installed Yakuake and to me, it looks like Konsole but without the
47 menu part at the top.  Other than that, I don't see anything special.  I
48 kinda wish I had a terminal with dolphin or something.  I think there is
49 a way but right now, I'm getting the job done.  I'll look into that
50 later.  Pretty sure it is under the tool menu.
51
52 Thanks.
53
54 Dale