From: walt <w41ter@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gtkam getting on my nerves, again.
Date: Sat, 02 Feb 2013 15:57:38
1 On 02/02/2013 06:45 AM, Dale wrote:
2 > walt wrote:
3 >> On 02/01/2013 11:50 PM, Dale wrote:
4 >>> Howdy,
5 >>>
6 >>> I use Gtkam to get pics from my Canon camera. I already put up with the
7 >>> fact that it crashes a LOT.
8
9 >> I always start by running the problem program from a bash prompt so I can
10 >> look for error messages.
13 > I get this:
14 >
15 > (gtkam:10897): Gtk-WARNING **: Unable to locate theme engine in
16 > module_path: "clearlooks",
17
18 clearlooks is the name of a gnome theme, and so you wouldn't have it on
19 your kde machine. You can ignore that and other gtk "warnings".
20
21 > (gtkam:10897): Gtk-CRITICAL **:
22 > gtk_file_chooser_default_set_current_name: assertion `impl->action ==
23 > GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_SAVE || impl->action ==
24 > GTK_FILE_CHOOSER_ACTION_CREATE_FOLDER' failed
25
26 Now that one looks suspicious. The only idea that comes to mind is that
27 gtkam for some reason is trying to save to some place you don't have
28 write privileges, like / or /run, maybe. That's where I would trot out
29 strace, which will allow you to see exactly where gtkam is trying to
30 write when it fails.
31
32 The other trick I use is to create a new user with a new home directory
33 and try running gtkam from that account. Often I find that the new user
34 doesn't see the same bug as my normal user, so at least I know the problem
35 is somewhere in my home directory, and strace will narrow the scope of
36 my debugging even more.
37
38 The "-y" and "-e file" flags for strace are very handy for this kind of
39 debugging problem.