From: gottlieb@×××.edu
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] recommendation sought for external disk
Date: Wed, 01 Jan 2014 22:07:39
1 My home desktop has had a seagate external 750GB drive ST3750640cbrk for
2 a number of years and the disk is starting to fail. The system gets
3 only modest usage. It is powered on about 1/2 the time and the disk
4 often goes significant periods without activity so it spins down.
5
6 I was considering what seagate calls an "expansion hard drive". They
7 are USB 3, but I will be using only USB 2. The desktop is gentoo-only
8 and I don't need any backup software from seagate.
9
10 The models are STBVx000100 for x=1,2,3,4 TB.
11
12 I understand the price capacity trade-off, but wonder if anyone has any
13 experience with these drives.
14
15 Thanks in advance,
16 allan