From: "Marzan
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: RE: [gentoo-user] services not starting since move to amd64
Date: Fri, 07 Dec 2007 21:21:21
1 > -----Original Message-----
2 > From: Stefan G. Weichinger [mailto:lists@×××××.at]
3 > Sent: Friday, December 07, 2007 1:21 AM
4 > To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
5 > Subject: [gentoo-user] services not starting since move to amd64
8 > Greets, gentoo-users,
9 >
10 > as soem of you might remember I only recently migrated my system to
11 > amd64 (fresh install).
12 >
13 > I don't exactly know if there is a relation to this move but since
14 then
15 > I have the problem that some services simply don't start when the
16 system
17 > boots.
18 >
19 > For example xinetd, sshd and smartd don't start, they get started and
20 > show their green "OK"-message but aren't running afterwards.
21 >
22 > I checked "rc-config list":
23 >
24 > sshd default
25 > [...]
26 > xinetd default
27 >
28 > I removed and re-added the services
29 >
30 > # rc-config delete sshd default
31 > Deleting sshd from following runlevels
32 > default [done]
33 > # rc-config add sshd default
34 > Adding sshd to following runlevels
35 > default [done]
36 >
37 > looks fine but doesn't start at next boot. Or more exactly: It seems
39 > get started, but doesn't run then.
40 >
41 > If it was only one of the services I would consider a misconfiguration
42 > in its configfiles somewhere, but I see this for several services:
43 >
44 > cpufreqd, distccd, hddtemp, iscsid, ..... smartd, sshd, ....
45 >
46 > Could anyone point me to what to do to solve this?
47 >
48 > Thanks a lot, Stefan
49 >
50 > --
51 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
55 This might or might not be an issue related to your kernel
56 configuration. There is an option in the kernel to allow IA32
57 executables to run under the AMD64 platform. I don't know the particular
58 name of this option in the .config file but, nonetheless, it should be
59 listed as an option in the kernel configuration. I doubt this will solve
60 it but give it a try. Also, see if you can run other 32-bit Apps. If
61 they run than it's most likely not going to be solved by my suggestion
62 but it would still be a good idea to enable that feature in the kernel
63 for practical reasons.
64 --
65 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list