From: Nikos Chantziaras <realnc@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Access Windows XP running in VirtualBox
Date: Sat, 14 Mar 2009 19:55:22
1 Joseph wrote:
2 > On 03/14/09 21:05, Nikos Chantziaras wrote:
3 >> [...]
4 >> VirtualBox supports RDP. You can connect to it with any RDP client.
5 >>
6 >> I use KRDC for this. I start the XP virtual machine with:
7 >>
8 >> VBoxHeadless -startvm "Windows XP" &
9 >>
10 >> This will run the VM but will not display anything. You connect to it
11 >> through RDP.
12 >>
13 >> Read the VirtualBox manual for more info (like like to configure which
14 >> port to use if you don't want the default one.)
15 >
16 > The computer is running Gentoo and Windows XP in VirtualBox.
17 > I need to run Windows XP :-( (no choice)
18 > The program I'm running is a dental program that stores images, I need
19 > to have an access to these images from different rooms; so I have to
20 > have access to VM Windows XP in order to start the Windows XP program
21 > that will allow me to view those pictures (mostly X-rays images).
22 >
23 > If I start VB with:
24 > VBoxHeadless -startvm "Windows XP" will I be able to run it in
25 > foreground and access it via KDRC?
26
27 To run it in foreground, you can start it just as before (that is,
28 without using VBoxHeadless) but you need to enable RDP in VirtualBox's
29 settings. VBoxHeadless is only for the case where you don't want to run
30 it in the foreground on the PC VBox is running but only to access it
31 through RDP.
32
33 Note that RDP is not supported in the Open Source Edition ("ose") of
34 VirtualBox. Only the non-free version (but it's still "free as in beer".)
35
36 You can also enable the built-in RDP of Windows XP if you need
37 multi-user support.