From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Mon, 30 Mar 2015 22:24:15
1 Peter Humphrey <peter <at> prh.myzen.co.uk> writes:
4 > On Sunday 29 March 2015 20:12:45 Alan McKinnon wrote:
5
6 > > grep -ir qt /etc/portage
7 grep qt /etc/portage/package.use | wc -l =11
8
9 dev-qt/qt-creator android autotools cmake python
10 dev-qt/qtgui qt3support
11 >=dev-qt/qtsql-4.8.5 qt3support
12 >=dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r1 qt3support
13 # required by dev-qt/qtcore-4.8.5-r1[qt3support]
14 >=dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r1 qt3support
15 # required by dev-qt/qtopengl-4.8.5
16 >=dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r2 -qt3support
17 # required by dev-qt/qt3support-4.8.5
18 >=dev-qt/qtgui-4.8.5-r2 qt3support
19 # required by dev-qt/qtwebkit-4.8.5[gstreamer]
25 # grep -ir qt /etc/portage | wc -l =86
26
27 # eselect profile list
28 Available profile symlink targets:
29 [1] default/linux/amd64/13.0 *
32 So I am multilib? How/where do I tell, as one reader posted
33 that the profile is not where we designate if we are multilib
34 or not (news to me). I am open to edumacation on this aspect.
37 > and help them remove all cruft that's getting in the way of a clean upgrade
38
39 I just ran a 'depclean' a few days ago. Dozens of my java hacks (overlays)
40 and such got cleaned out and my apache-spark ebuild (hack) does not compile
41 anymore. No big deal, I get to spend another day learning all the neat
42 things I do not know about maven......
43
44 I Did not even know a cleanup was needed but 'eix-test-obsolete'
45 broke me down and kicked me in the teeth. I've got a lot to clean up:
46
47 eix-test-obsolete | wc -l =209
48
49 emerge -uDNvp world | wc -l =111
50 emerge -uDNvp world :
51 Total: 98 packages (2 upgrades, 2 new, 2 in new slots, 92 reinstalls, 3
52 uninstalls)
55 All I have done so far is run emerge --sync. I previously sync'd up on
56 28mar2015 before that. I do not run KDE, I use lxde + lots of java (hacks)
57 I refer to 'java(hacks)' because it is mostly a kludge of
58 old portage packages and overlays.
61 I have automask automated via make.conf.
62 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--with-bdeps y --autounmask-write y"
63
64 But before I follow the path of others:
65
66 cat package.use | wc -l =314
67
68 package.use via automask is getting a bit out of hand, already.
69 Somehow, I do not feel good about the devs solution is to
70 munge up something I have already been abusing. So, does
71 'eix-test-obsolete' have some automated option to clean up
72 package.use? I think I need to do this before applying
73 the latest (dev_inspired) kludge to my main workstation....?
74
75 Maybe I should BE the chicken that I am, and wait a few days
76 for others to flush this out a bit more? It's already been a
77 hell(o)Monday for me..............
80 On a brighter note, I do feel good that my instincts on kludging
81 up a gentoo system, seem to be tracking the devs, quite nicely....
82
83 Guidance, humor and spankings are all welcome.....
86 James