From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] strange blocks b behavior
Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2008 16:11:47
1 On Wed, 30 Apr 2008 17:58:23 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > These questions are coming up a lot lately, and it's always the same
4 > stuff: how the hell do I read this output? I don;t have these things
5 > installed.
6
7 [good stuff snipped]
8
9 Two other things that help. You have 228 packages marked for
10 installation. you can make things a lot clearer by installing some of
11 them separately, to reduce the size of the list. Use the --oneshot and
12 --update options to prevent pollution of your world file and update the
13 dependencies of the files involved. You should be able to get the package
14 list down to no more than a dozen, at which point the blocking is much
15 easier to evaluate <insert cliche about wood and trees>.
16
17 Secondly, you have the doc USE flag set. This is normally not needed,
18 and rarely needed globally. Ebuilds should install man/info pages by
19 default, USE="doc" adds extra documentation, usually API information for
20 programmers, which is why it is rarely needed globally. The doc flag
21 increases the dependencies of some packages, sometimes massively.
25 Neil Bothwick
26
27 Very funny Scotty.. now beam down my pants!