From: Nick Cameo <symack@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fwd: How about the gentoo server or cluster in production environment?
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 13:09:39
1 Just because google does it, does not mean it's right. If you are going to
2 make a suggestion, please
3 make it an educated one. For example:
4
5 "I prefer RHEL because of it's mature GFS, and CMAN support which is Red
6 Hat's implementation of
7 global file system and cluster computing."
8
9 Or you could even sound funny saying it but add valuable input
10 nevertheless. Some thing like:
11
12 "I think SLES is the shizaooo for clustering because of it's continued
13 support of Pacemaker Cluster, DRBD,
14 GFS, OCFS2 etc...."
15
16 Just saying I like something because google does, is not valuable input. To
17 be honest, it's just as a waste of time
18 to read as it is to write.
19
20 Debian, and Ubuntu are desktop platforms. Yes they are widely used in
21 production server environments (the slow
22 ones that is) however, our last experience with Debian squeeze as a whole
23 (ie, source tree, reliability, performance),
24 was inhospitable. Dare I say, it was making as nauseated as we would be
25 behind a Windows machine...
26
27 That being said, the OP did not specify the type of cluster. Is he
28 referring to HPLC (Oscar, Rocks, MPI) or Failover
29 cluster for certain services such as HTTP, SSH etc.. as is provided by
30 CMAN, Pacemaker.
33 What has worked really solid for us due to many factors, and the idea of
34 being able to build everything from the ground up
35 is Gentoo, with Pacemaker, GFS, and DRBD. This is for our failover system.
36
37 Kind Regards,
38
39 Nick from Toronto.