From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Create mutli-file .zip archives from the command line?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:14:11
1 On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 15:59:04 +0100
2 Renat Golubchyk <ragermany@×××.net> wrote:
3
4 > Hi!
5 >
6 > On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 14:21:30 +0000 Stroller
7 > <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
8 > > What I thought to do was to break the .iso into a multi-part .zip
9 > > archive, transfer the separate files over to the Windows PC and then
10 > > unzip them back into the original big file using Explorer's built-in
11
12 The problem is that fat32 can't handle files that are larger than
13 4gb-1byte. So, will still be unable to unzip or unrar that iso image.
14
15 Unzip would just stop with an error when it reaches that limit. This
16 is a technical limitation of fat32 itself. There is nothing unzip or
17 unrar could do about this. Fat32 just can't index more than 2^32
18 (4294967296) bytes. It uses 32 bits to index a given file, and any
19 number above that (well, above 4294967295, since we start at 0) just
20 doesn't fit into a 32 bits word. Which means that fat32 can't handle
21 it.
22
23 You have many other alternatives: use ntfs or even ext3/2. I know that
24 there are drivers to use these filesystems on windows, I don't know
25 how good or bad they are, though. :)
28 Jesús Guerrero <i92guboj@×××××.es>
29 --
30 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list