From: Shawn Haggett <podge@××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tif libraries being ignored
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 05:04:05
1 On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 02:59:47 pm Ted Miller wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 > > Ted Miller wrote:
4 > > [snip]
5 > >
6 > > > Things work pretty well EXCEPT that the KDE based applications cannot
7 > > > handle *.tif files. I have the media-libs/tiff package emerged, but
8 > > > for some reason the KDE subsystem does not seem to be using it.
9 > > > I have run
10 > > > emerge --update --deep --newuse world
11 > > > revdep-rebuild
12 > > > with no improvement
13 > > >
14 > > > Any insight into what I need to do to get this working will be greatly
15 > > > appreciated. Please be explicit (or include links to documentation)
16 > > > if I have to do anything unusual, but I will be glad to send any
17 > > > needed information to help you diagnose my problem.
18 > > >
19 > > > Ted Miller
20 > > > Indiana, USA
21 > >
22 > > I would assume you have tiff in your USE line in make.conf?
23 >
24 > [snip]
25 >
26 > > Just in case you missed that little detail. ;-)
27 >
28 > Yes, I missed that, and it did the trick (after re-emerging 11 packages,
29 > including kde-libs).
30 >
31 > Where was it hidden, that I missed it? Or is it just one of those things
32 > "you have to learn"? Seems like the tif package should add it, or tell me
33 > to consider adding it, when the package is installed.
34 >
35 > Ted Miller
36
37 Have a look at the documentation about USE flags. It's part of the Gentoo
38 Handbook, in the section about working with Gentoo:
39 http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2
40
41 Because you had the tiff flag turned off, Gentoo assumed you didn't want all
42 those packages on your system to be linked against the tiff libraries (for
43 whatever various reason). Therefore even though you installed the libraries,
44 the packages themselves hadn't linked against them.
45
46 You might want to check your use flags for other media related flags,
47 depending on which file formats you'll be using (off the top of my head there
48 are a couple of flags for various picture formats).
49
50 And welcome to Gentoo! :)
51
52 Shawn