From: Ted Miller <limaohio123-CompMailLists@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tif libraries being ignored
Date: Mon, 12 Jan 2009 12:54:04
1 Shawn Haggett wrote:
2 > On Mon, 12 Jan 2009 02:59:47 pm Ted Miller wrote:
3 >> Dale wrote:
4 >>> Ted Miller wrote:
5 >>> [snip]
6 >>>
7 >>>> Things work pretty well EXCEPT that the KDE based applications cannot
8 >>>> handle *.tif files. I have the media-libs/tiff package emerged, but
9 >>>> for some reason the KDE subsystem does not seem to be using it.
10 >>>> I have run
11 >>>> emerge --update --deep --newuse world
12 >>>> revdep-rebuild
13 >>>> with no improvement
14 >>>>
15 >>>> Any insight into what I need to do to get this working will be greatly
16 >>>> appreciated. Please be explicit (or include links to documentation)
17 >>>> if I have to do anything unusual, but I will be glad to send any
18 >>>> needed information to help you diagnose my problem.
19 >>>>
20 >>>> Ted Miller
21 >>>> Indiana, USA
22 >>> I would assume you have tiff in your USE line in make.conf?
23 >> [snip]
24 >>
25 >>> Just in case you missed that little detail. ;-)
26 >> Yes, I missed that, and it did the trick (after re-emerging 11 packages,
27 >> including kde-libs).
28 >>
29 >> Where was it hidden, that I missed it? Or is it just one of those things
30 >> "you have to learn"? Seems like the tif package should add it, or tell me
31 >> to consider adding it, when the package is installed.
32 >>
33 >> Ted Miller
34 >
35 > Have a look at the documentation about USE flags. It's part of the Gentoo
36 > Handbook, in the section about working with Gentoo:
37 > http://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=2&chap=2
38
39 I found that, and think I understand how it works, having had to put in
40 several flags to get things working already. However, most of what I have
41 done so far has been in response to messages like (roughly): "Sorry, I
42 can't compile Package A unless Package B is compiled with the XYZ flag.
43 Please set flag, recompile B, then recompile A."
44
45 > Because you had the tiff flag turned off, Gentoo assumed you didn't want all
46 > those packages on your system to be linked against the tiff libraries (for
47 > whatever various reason). Therefore even though you installed the libraries,
48 > the packages themselves hadn't linked against them.
49
50 As a new user, what I need to know is: How do I find out that there is such
51 a thing as a 'tiff' flag? I could just as easily have checked for a 'tif'
52 flag, and not known that it was 'tiff'. Nothing told me that installing
53 the library didn't do anything until I set the related flag. Seems like
54 either:
55 1. The library should set the flag itself (which not everyone wants to
56 happen, as they may only want it for one package, not all) or
57 2. There should be a message after the emerge, kind of like the one that
58 says (roughly) "You have 3 configuration files in /etc which need attention" or
59 3. There should be a list somewhere that is automatically maintained that
60 says something like: "You have installed packages related to these flags.
61 To get full benefit from these packages, consider adding these flags to
62 either make.conf or to the make instructions for individual packages", and
63 then list all the flags, maybe one package to a line, with that package's
64 flags listed on the line after that package name, kind of like
65 qt-3: qt3
66 qt-4: qt4
67
68 > You might want to check your use flags for other media related flags,
69 > depending on which file formats you'll be using (off the top of my head there
70 > are a couple of flags for various picture formats).
71
72 Currently my make.conf contains: USE="-gtk -gnome qt3 qt4 kde dvd alsa cdr hal
73 exif -ipv6 X samba openexr tiff", but I wonder what else is missing, and
74 how do
75 I find out?
76
77 I just ran 'equery uses gimp' and find flags like dbus lcms mmx mng pdf png
78 sse svg and wmf that MAYBE I should set. And how do I figure out which are
79 gimp-only and which are widely used flags, and exactly what they do,
80 without running 'equery hasuse dbus' for each flag on that list?
81
82 slightly confused,
83 Ted Miller
84