From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Power supply with no -5v rail?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 22:40:10
1 On Wednesday 29 November 2006 22:08, Mike Huber wrote:
2 > By rail you mean a connection to the motherboard right? The power supply
3 > itself has a 5v rail, which is delivered to the drives. Correct me if I'm
4 > wrong, but that's my understanding.
5
6 there is 5V and there is -5V.
7
8 5V is needed for io stuff (like the drives), -5V was used for the ISA slots.
9
10 When the ATX standard was created, one of the 20pins/21cables was -5V.
11
12 Since -5V is not needed anymore, it was dropped some time ago. The connector
13 is still 20pins 'wide', but one of them is empty.
14 --
15 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list