From: gevisz <gevisz@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Deficient Gnome Window Frames
Date: Fri, 06 Sep 2013 12:43:59
1 2013/9/5 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
2
3 > On 05/09/2013 14:51, gevisz wrote:
4 > > Usually, when I open a new window frame in Gnome 2, I have a Close,
5 > > Maximize/Restore and Minimize buttons on its upper-right corner.
6 > >
7 > > Sometimes, however, especially when I open a supplementary window frame
8 > > from a running program, its upper (text) bar contains only the Close
9 > > button with no possibility to maximize the window frame to the whole
10 > > screen, and it is extremely inconvenient.
11 > >
12 > > I do remember that I had a similar problem in Gnome 2 under Ubuntu but
13 > > somehow managed to get to the configuration where almost all my windows
14 > > had Maximize/Restore and Minimize buttons. The only exception was the
15 > > Firefox sub-window to save a bookmark. :^(
16 > >
17 > > Just now, I have tries FXCE and found out that it opens all the
18 > > sub-windows with the Maximize/Restore, Close and Minimize buttons "out
19 > > of the box" and without recompilation of all the programs that do not do
20 > > the same in Gnome (except for the Firefox bookmark sub-window, of
21 > course).
22 > >
23 > > However, I am reluctant to migrate to FXCE right now because at the
24 > > moment I cannot achieve the same look-and-feel as in my Gnome
25 > > (especially, I miss the the all-in-one clock-calendar-weather applet
26 > > with the world map showing the daytime at different locations).
27 > >
28 > > Could anybody advise me how to get the Close, Maximize/Restore and
29 > > Minimize buttons in all window frames in Gnome 2.
32 > I think the true answer is
33 >
34 > "You can't. The Gnome devs know better than you what you want"
35 >
36 > I'm happy to be proved wrong though.
37 >
38 > If it bothers you, just migrate to XFCE and deal with the pain. It will
39 > last only a short time.
40 >
41 > Alan McKinnon alan.mckinnon@×××××.com
44 Currently, Gnome works better than Xfce for me, because so far
45
46 1) I found no way to switch keyboard layout from English to any other
47 language (while Gnome and DWM do this after tackling with evdev
48 configs),
49
50 2) Gnome allows more combinations for hot key bindings, for example,
51 I can not assign <Win>+<Shift>+<any letter> to any program launcher
52 in Fxce, while it does work in Gnome,
53
54 3) installing Orange in FXCE involves unmasking some dependent
55 packages, but I like to stick to the stable thread.
56
57 All in all, I do understand why Linus said that Xfce is a step back
58 compared to Gnome 2
59 (but I still have not got why Xfce is a big step forward compared with
60 Gnome 3 :^), as
61 have not tried it so far).
62
63 P.S. I will probably post a separate question, but if somebody can
64 explain how to setup language keyboad layout switch in Fxce,
65 you are welcome. :^)
66
67 I set up toggling the keyboard layout to <rWin> key in
68 /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d/10-evdev.conf as follows:
69
70 Option "XkbOptions"
71 "grp:rwin_toggle,grp_led:scroll,compose:menu,terminate:ctrl_alt_bksp"
72
73 It works for Gnome and DWM but not for Xfce. :^(
74
75 Moreover, I need the keyboard layout indicator somewhere on the Xfce
76 panel,
77 but could not find any.