From: Steve Dibb <beandog@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Protecting a package in package.keywords?
Date: Wed, 13 Dec 2006 22:20:45
1 Travis Osterman wrote:
2 > I needed to unmask ivtv by placing it in my
3 > /etc/portage/package.keywords as "media-tv/ivtv". Now I'd like to
4 > have my system not ask me to ever upgrade it again until the newer
5 > version is required as a dependency of some other program.
6 >
7 > I thought that putting "=media-tv/ivtv-0.9.0" (where 0.9.0 is my
8 > current version) in /etc/portage/package.mask would be the solution,
9 > but when I "emerge ivtv -pv" it wants to upgrade to "0.9.1".
10 >
11 > I commented out the line in package.keywords thinking maybe if it was
12 > already installed and masked that portage would ignore it. The result
13 > of this was portage wanted to downgrade to the more 'stable' 0.8.x -
14 > which is also not the desired result.
15 >
16 Well, ivtv is a little strange in the sense that each branch is specific
17 for a kernel branch. Technically, you're going to be best off running
18 the latest ivtv branch (irregardless of whether its marked stable).
19 So, if you are running the 0.9 branch of ivtv, I'd recommend keeping up
20 to date with the bugfixes and upgrading to 0.9.1.
21
22 If you wanted to do something like that, and make all 0.9.x versions
23 "stable" in package.keywords, then you would add this:
24
25 =media-tv/ivtv-0.9*
26
27 But if you just want to stick with 0.9.0, then what you had before is
28 correct.
29
30 =media-tv/ivtv-0.9.0
31
32 Just make sure there aren't any other entries for ivtv in there.
33
34 Steve
37 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list