From: james <garftd@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 22:45:18
1 On 8/28/20 4:56 PM, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 8/28/20 1:55 PM, james wrote:
3 >> I'm proposing, via a small corp I own, to purchase up to (3) dual
4 >> Rasp.pi 4 setups of (2) R.Pi.4 8gig ram setups and send them to the
5 >> devs WE all decide on.
6 >
7 > A few points.
8 >
9 > 1)� I don't think that 8 GB of RAM is required.� --� My email server is
10 > a VPS with 2 GB of RAM and is running just fine.� So, maybe smaller
11 > systems would work.� And maybe that would mean that more of them could
12 > be acquired for the same funding.
13
14 OK, but I like the R.P.8gram quite a lots. so my money is with
15 prototyping on via (3) innovators each with (2) R. P. 4 8g ram. Others
16 can use what they want. Surely others can propose and use other embedded
17 (low2 power) boards.
21 > 2)� I don't know that a Raspberry Pi is strictly required for the
22 > testing.� I think that anything that will run Gentoo can be used to
23 > prove out the software stack.� --� Sure, there will /eventually/ need to
24 > be /some/ testing on Raspberry Pis.� But I think that testing will be
25 > later in the game and more of a confirmation after the fact.
26
27 Great idea. Fund that pathway yourself. I LOVE R.PI.4 boards, with 8gig
28 of ram. ymmv.
29
30 If we can get these codes running on arm64 (R.P.4) surely running them
31 on AMD or intel is trivial?
32
33 Perhaps a read on "Intel cripple AMD functions is in order?
34
35 https://www.agner.org/forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=6
38 > 3)� I'm not sure what you mean by "dual ... setups".
39
40 (2) identical R.Pi.4 8gig rams systems, running gentoo.
41 (1) dns resolver codes emails service codes etc
42 (1) dns resolver codes, webserver to support email services etc.
45 > What are the two
46 > systems (be it Raspberry Pis or VPSs or VMs or something else) supposed
47 > to do?� -� Are you wanting primary and backup (as in MX) or some sort of
48 > cluster with shared file system or something else?
49
50 Well establish, albeit, in long postings on this gentoo-user list. It's
51 just (2) R.P.4 systems, running gentoo.
52
53 I'm open to the stack (list) of codes necessary to securely run
54
55 1. embedded gentoo on R.P.4 (other hardware can be funded by others).
56
57 2. Any number of robust email servers-systems (open)
58
59 3. a DNS servers to provide "primary dns services"
60 a total of (2). More than 2 would be great.
61
62 4. A companion ngnix(?) web server just to complement the project. The
63 ideas is each email services collective could have their own web pages
64 explaining their email and related services.
65
66 5. On these (3) projects, I'd be open to other, complementary
67 experimentation, as long as it is published. Grant Taylor, do not let it
68 go to your head, but I agree with most of what you write in Gentoo User.
69
70 6. (2) Rpi4 (8 gig) systems and extras are 2-3 hundred dollars. So it's
71 total less than $900 USD dollars. NOT a bid deal for my little corp.
72 Actually, if I get what I need, then it's the most inexpensive && robust
73 way for my little corp to get exactly what I need. My own small email
74 servers and dns resolvers supporting those email services.
77 >> Let's us start compiling up the codes, keep it simple (for now) and
78 >> implement them with gentoo-users as the testers of the email services.
79 >>
80 >> These discussions should be continued to everyone's benefit. However
81 >> there are way more than (3) folks on these threads who are most
82 >> capable to do this community prototyping.
83 >
84 > I think the idea of using VPSs or VMs means that a lot more people can
85 > participate using the same funding.
86
87 I'm not funding somebody else's idea. I'm funding what *I* want, open to
88 input. With this effort others benefit from the project. The ultimate
89 goals is for hundreds of email services to be setup, gentoo centric.
92 >> If WE do not act and get hundreds of these deployed, email, as we know
93 >> it via RFCS and other standards may just disappear, or be relegated
94 >> to the far reaches of the Internet.� What I have read, is standards
95 >> based email services, particularly by small organizations, are under
96 >> extreme pressure by large corporations to be marginalized out of
97 >> existence.
98 >
99 > I think I disagree with that.
100
101 OK, great. FUND what you want. Run things as you see fit
104 > Many of the big email operators are enforcing higher and higher
105 > standards.� But the standards /are/ /open/ and /can/ /be/ /implemented/
106 > /by/ /anyone/ who wants to do so.
109 Show me a concise, easy to follow set of codes and docs, and I'll just
110 build (2) R.P.4 servers and share my docs 100%. Forget the fact, for
111 now, that all static IPs Frontier has, are blocked by this same group of
112 higher and higher standards. Really, I'm kinda shocked NeddySeagoon,
113 or others have not already fixed this, via 100% gentoo codes, complete
114 with ample documentation.
115
116 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Raspberry_Pi4_64_Bit_Install
117
118 Just add the email, dns, ngnix, security setup codes to
119 this doc?
120
121 I have been researching and reading, for over (3) weeks and have yet
122 been able to formulate a pathway to get a mail server up. Granted the
123 industry black-balling Frontier, is a bit of a shocker to me. No wonder
124 Frontier is is receivership, with Verizon licking their chops to get a
125 big chunk of Frontier back.
126
127 Just in case you do not know, Verizon was force to divest much of their
128 internet empire (Florida, Texas and California) to Frontier in
129 anti-trust settlements.
133 > The /only/ thing that I've seen that is somewhat of a closed system that
134 > small players -- like myself -- have no real hop of is getting people
135 > like Google to trust our ARC (not DMARC) signatures.� Though this is
136 > probably more a shortcoming in the ARC specification as it doesn't
137 > tackle how to get providers to trust your signature as a small operator.
138
139 I can fix this problem, in a few months. There are legal places to take
140 'racketeering' and other forms of 'monopolistic" behavior to for
141 resolution. Email was created and spread via RFC standards. I do not
142 user any of the services of those conglomerates. TRUMP is totally
143 ignorant of what this does to small competitors. HE needs to be made
144 aware. He is forcing big operations on the internet to choose between
145 the US and China. The right presentation to him and his underlings,
146 although not easy, is a doable.
147
148 It is an election year. Give me what I want/need, and I'll show him how
149 thousands of US High School kids and start an email/webserver, centric
150 business, right out of their own home. That the sort of technology
151 idea/commitment Trump or Biden needs right now!
155 Sounds like private discussions, via a connected DC lawyer can get this
156 'horse shit' fixed. Done it too many times, all the way to 'testifying'
157 in front of judges as an expert witness too many times. I can 'bust
158 their balls' but will give them a chance to come clean first, via
159 private negotiations. Getting political candidates to talk about this on
160 their campaign trail, is easy, if you have THE RIGHT LAWYERS. They are
161 often referred to as "Money Men". That, my friend, is how politics work,
162 in reality.
163
164 And yes that's the sort of skills The Gentoo Council, should be looking for.
169 >> So any of the folks in these treads can announce publically, or send
170 >> me private email as to your concerns. Public is best, but, I
171 >> understand the needs for private communications sometimes. So yea,
172 >> I'll personally finaces, at least 6 months of (3) projects.
173 >> I'll take all input, but will make my (funding) decision, in a focus,
174 >> quick strategy.
175 >
176 > I'm happy to participate.� My preference would be to use a VPS / VM
177 > (which I can provide) and allow others to take advantage of the Pis that
178 > are on offer.
179
180 Both you and Ash, are on my short list. No doubts. If you need
181 financial help, after this is done and published, then contact me privately.
182
183 Ash already knows I wheel and deal. She has impeccable credentials, so
184 all she has to do is ask.
185
186 Anyone can post with their ideas a solution.
187
188 And yes, I'm going to be quite generous and helpful. I'm a very
189 comfortable techie; like many of the older gentoo hacks.......
190
191 Besides, the timing is right for this sort of open competition in email
192 services. I would not worry about big tech falling in line.
195 https://foreignpolicy.com/2020/08/27/china-tech-facebook-google/
196
197 James