From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@×××××××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] tips on running a mail server in a cheap vps provider run but not-so-trusty admins?
Date: Fri, 28 Aug 2020 20:56:57
1 On 8/28/20 1:55 PM, james wrote:
2 > I'm proposing, via a small corp I own, to purchase up to (3) dual
3 > Rasp.pi 4 setups of (2) R.Pi.4 8gig ram setups and send them to the
4 > devs WE all decide on.
5
6 A few points.
7
8 1) I don't think that 8 GB of RAM is required. -- My email server is
9 a VPS with 2 GB of RAM and is running just fine. So, maybe smaller
10 systems would work. And maybe that would mean that more of them could
11 be acquired for the same funding.
12
13 2) I don't know that a Raspberry Pi is strictly required for the
14 testing. I think that anything that will run Gentoo can be used to
15 prove out the software stack. -- Sure, there will /eventually/ need to
16 be /some/ testing on Raspberry Pis. But I think that testing will be
17 later in the game and more of a confirmation after the fact.
18
19 3) I'm not sure what you mean by "dual ... setups". What are the two
20 systems (be it Raspberry Pis or VPSs or VMs or something else) supposed
21 to do? - Are you wanting primary and backup (as in MX) or some sort of
22 cluster with shared file system or something else?
23
24 > Let's us start compiling up the codes, keep it simple (for now) and
25 > implement them with gentoo-users as the testers of the email services.
26 >
27 > These discussions should be continued to everyone's benefit. However
28 > there are way more than (3) folks on these threads who are most capable
29 > to do this community prototyping.
30
31 I think the idea of using VPSs or VMs means that a lot more people can
32 participate using the same funding.
33
34 > If WE do not act and get hundreds of these deployed, email, as we know
35 > it via RFCS and other standards may just disappeaar, or be relegated to
36 > the far reaches of the Internet. What I have read, is standards based
37 > email services, particularly by small organizations, are under extreme
38 > pressure by large corporations to be marginalized out of existence.
39
40 I think I disagree with that.
41
42 Many of the big email operators are enforcing higher and higher
43 standards. But the standards /are/ /open/ and /can/ /be/ /implemented/
44 /by/ /anyone/ who wants to do so.
45
46 The /only/ thing that I've seen that is somewhat of a closed system that
47 small players -- like myself -- have no real hop of is getting people
48 like Google to trust our ARC (not DMARC) signatures. Though this is
49 probably more a shortcoming in the ARC specification as it doesn't
50 tackle how to get providers to trust your signature as a small operator.
51
52 > So any of the folks in these treads can announce publically, or send me
53 > private email as to your concerns. Public is best, but, I understand the
54 > needs for private communications sometimes. So yea, I'll personally
55 > finaces, at least 6 months of (3) projects.
56 > I'll take all input, but will make my (funding) decision, in a focus,
57 > quick strategy.
58
59 I'm happy to participate. My preference would be to use a VPS / VM
60 (which I can provide) and allow others to take advantage of the Pis that
61 are on offer.
67 Grant. . . .
68 unix || die