From: Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo is the best linux distro
Date: Tue, 11 Sep 2012 09:48:38
1 120910 Paul Hartman wrote:
2 > On Mon, Sep 10, 2012 at 4:46 PM, Chris Stankevitz
3 >> Gentoo is the best distribution I have used ...
4 >> I love watching & questioning what is going to be installed.
5 >> Supposedly Gentoo lacks being able to "just work" without thinking,
6 >> but in my experience this simply isn't the case anywhere.
7 >> With Ubuntu I had trouble with sound and ethernet cards
8 >> that I could never figure out
9 >> and the kind of answers I get on their forums drive me insane.
10
11 When I wanted to install Linux on my new netbook 2008,
12 I quickly found that the simplest way to get everything to work
13 was to install Gentoo, using my notes from previous desktop installs.
14 In Gentoo, problems are almost always just 1 layer deep,
15 tho' the Gentoo Forum also tends to be much more noise than signal.
16
17 > That's how I felt, too, in 2003 or 2004 when I first installed Gentoo
18 > and I've been using it ever since and still feel the same way.
19 > I'm okay with more responsibility in exchange for more control.
20 > Sometimes it makes you think about what you're doing more
21 > than some other distros, but thinking is fun.
22
23 Exactly my own experience, also since 2003,
24 when Mandrake was slow to bring out its new version,
25 other distros didn't install properly & I finally tried Gentoo:
26 suddenly I found myself looking at a working system on my screen !
27 -- that machine still runs well enough as a stand-by
28 without any re-installation & I can update 'world' after > 1 year .
29
30 My picture is that using M$ is like staying in a mediocre over-priced hotel,
31 where there are many locked doors marked 'Private: staff only!',
32 it's not safe to eat in the restaurant & Security gets angry sometimes.
33 Binary Linux distros are like living in a fairly good apartment building,
34 but you're still dependent on company staff + policies.
35 Gentoo is like owning your own house.
39 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb
40 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Cities Centre, University of Toronto
41 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' purslowatchassdotutorontodotca