From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] to mail or not to mail
Date: Tue, 13 Sep 2005 20:33:13
1 On 9/13/05, Antoine <melser.anton@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi,
4 > I am trying to get php to send an email and am completely lost. It seems
5 > as though I had it working on an mdk box at work today, cos I got the
6 > messages on my yahoo account, but now I am trying to set up a similar
7 > thing at home I am getting nowhere. I have never done anything apart
8 > from setting up pop/smtp servers in gui mail clients and once in a
9 > networking class we sent an email via telnet.
10 > Having done the extremely simple cl mail sending I was under the
11 > impression that this would be simple!
12 > I just can't work out why it is so difficult... first of all ssmtp was
13 > blocking everything. So I uninstall and install postfix. I try to get
14 > postfix going but get lots of abusive messages about it not liking
15 > certain parameters (the default php ones). Now I read the ssmtp man page
16 > and ask myself - why shouldn't this work? All I want to do is send a
17 > simple little email - if telnet can do it then this can...
18 > Now I reinstall ssmtp and nothing is working. From mutt, sendmail (see
19 > below) and the php script I get the below.
20 >
21 > tux ~ # sendmail antt@localhost
22 > hithere
23 >
24 > sendmail: Cannot open mail:25
25 >
26 > I don't want to do ANYTHING but have php send emails. I don't really
27 > care about security (for the moment) and really just want it to work
28 > without thinking about it! Can someone give me some advice?
29 > Cheers
30 > Antoine
31 >
32 Personally I would just emerge sendmail and use that, especially if you
33 don't need incoming mail. Postfix is probably overkill and I don't know jack
34 about ssmtp. You may encounter two situations however: 1) Your ISP is
35 blocking the SMTP port (25) and/or 2) Your firewall, software or hardware,
36 is blocking mail. As I recall there isn't any special setting needed for
37 sendmail to send a message from php, it just needs to be installed.
38 -Mike
42 Michael E. Crute
43 Software Developer
44 SoftGroup Development Corporation
45
46 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
47 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"