From: JimD <Jim@×××××××××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] chroot
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 2006 00:47:14
1 On Mon, 27 Mar 2006 18:16:31 -0600
2 "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net> wrote:
3
4 > There /could/ be issues if you booted from a livecd that has a
5 > different CHOST than you are building the system for, but if you are
6 > doing something that crazy, I'd hope you'd tell us in your initial
7 > email. ^^^^^
8
9 Errr... I actually was going to build an x86 version under my amd64
10 Gentoo. I was planing on having them on different partitions for
11 testing.
12
13 Right now I am running Gentoo amd64 though I see some issues with not
14 being able to run some crap proprietary software that is binary only and
15 needs to load binary only 32-bit modules into the kernel. So I was
16 going to have two Gentoo's installed to boot into. One 64-bit and one
17 32-bit. If I found 32-bit to be just as nice as 64-bit, I was planning
18 on just switching to that.
19
20 I extracted an i686 stage3 tarball into /mnt/gentoo and I was going to
21 build from there in chroot. Once the initial build is done I was going
22 to stay in chroot and build X, fluxbox and a few other apps I need to
23 be running.
24
25 Jim
26 --