From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] time for an emerge -e world?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 20:17:27
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 20:54 on Friday 19 November 2010, Allan
2 Gottlieb did opine thusly:
3
4 > > It seems, however, that you're still going down the path of emerge
5 > >
6 > > -e @world. Why is that? If it's just to be confident that everything
7 > > is back to the way it should be then I understand that. I've done it
8 > > myself many times in the last 12 years.
9 >
10 > Yes that is the reason.
13 Sounds like the big guns approach, can be valid at times.
14
15 I'm usually the first one to chip in about emerge -e world being stupid when
16 someone reads the gcc upgrade guide, but sometimes you have a box that just
17 will not fix itself despite hours of troubleshooting. In a case like this a
18 full remerge often fixes mysterious but actual real problems.
21 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com