From: Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] time for an emerge -e world?
Date: Fri, 19 Nov 2010 19:05:23
1 Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Fri, Nov 19, 2010 at 5:38 AM, Allan Gottlieb <gottlieb@×××.edu> wrote:
4 >> Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> writes:
5 >>
6 >>> On Fri, 19 Nov 2010 00:14:26 -0500, Allan Gottlieb wrote:
7 >>>
8 >>>> So is it now an appropriate time for me to run an
9 >>>>
10 >>>>    emerge -e world
11 >>>
12 >>> It shouldn't do any harm.
13 >>>
14 >>>> I do not mind taking this machine offline for the few days of the
15 >>>> emerge.
16 >>>
17 >>> There's no need for that, just set PORTAGE_NICENESS=19 in make.conf. You
18 >>> may want to run emerge -ef world first to make sure all files you need
19 >>> are in $DISTDIR.
20 >>
21 >> thanks,
22 >> allan
25 > Hi Allan,
26 > I admit to being a bit confused at this point. You ran the
27 > lafilefixer suggestion and said it fixed things. Did that step
28 > actually fix your libssl problem?
29
30 I "fixed" that problem by copying over the missing files from another
31 system.
32
33 > I guess you also ran fsck as it's a good thing to do once in awhile
34 > anyway. That's cool.
35 >
36 > It seems, however, that you're still going down the path of emerge
37 > -e @world. Why is that? If it's just to be confident that everything
38 > is back to the way it should be then I understand that. I've done it
39 > myself many times in the last 12 years.
40
41 Yes that is the reason.
42
43 > Just trying to get a handle on what the actual solution is vs all
44 > the other things going on in the thread! :-)
45
46 Thanks for the concern and help.
47 allan