From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Minimal world file.
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 2021 20:48:24
1 On 2021-02-03 14:29-0600 Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > Grant Taylor wrote:
4 > > This may be a silly question, but I don't know, so I'm going to ask.
5 > >
6 > > What is the minimal world file to be somewhat conceptually similar
7 > > to a debootstrap install of Debian / Ubuntu?
8 > >
9 > > Is the world file that ships with stage3 the smallest it can be?  Or
10 > > are there things that can safely be removed?
11 >
12 > If I recall correctly, the world file from a stage3 tarball is empty.
13 > It only has the packages you want installed added there.  Are you
14 > thinking about the system packages instead of the world file?  If so,
15 > I think it is as small as it can be already.  After all, a stage3
16 > tarball can't even boot as it has no kernel, boot loader mechanism or
17 > anything. It's only enough that you can build from to suite your
18 > needs.
19 >
20 > Dale
21
22 You could install Gentoo into a directory without the build tools, but
23 you would have to install packages and update them from a full Gentoo
24 installation outside that directory. I've used that technique in my
25 Docker experiments.[1]
26
27 emerge --root=/workdir sys-apps/busybox will install busybox and all
28 build-time dependencies into /workdir.
29
30 Kind regards, tastytea
31
32 [1] <https://schlomp.space/tastytea/docker-images/src/branch/main/gentoo-base.Dockerfile>